The Library and Information Center of University College of Science was established along with the College, it started functioning from the year 1940. The Library is located in the center of the College premises for the easy access. Library of college is provided with carpet area of 2905 sq. ft. and is rendering quality services. The library has adopted an open access approach to promote the use of information resources.
The collection of the Library is rich and diverse, especially in terms of breadth and depth of coverage in the areas of Life sciences, Physical Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Biological Sciences and Computer Science and is growing at a very fast pace to match the changing needs of students and staff of the college. It has a collection of over 50,255 which include Books, Reference Books, CD’s & DVD’S, Back volumes, Magazines, Project reports and other reading Materials. Library subscribes 35 periodicals in the various fields of Science and Technology. Library has good collection of competitive books kept separately “IAS Corner” to cater the needs of students for preparing competitive exams like JEEE, JGATE, CSIR NET etc and motivating them to take up civil services,
Library in-house activities and services are fully automated with the use e-Lib, Integrated Library Management Software.
Library have access to more than 6000+ e-journals (including current issues with 5-10 years back files) and 31,35,000 + e-books through program entitled “National Library and Information Services infrastructure for Scholarly Content (N-LIST)” by INFLIBNET.
Library has access to IEEE Communication Society Digital Library which includes 17 periodicals and conference and workshops proceedings. https://www.comsoc.org/dl
- To build the Library as centre of excellence.
- To cater multidimensional role in establishing partnerships at global level.
- To prepare and support teachers of all discipline in achieving high standard professional development to impart better education to their departments.
- To nurture the intellectual leadership capacity at the student level by focusing on user centered Information Retrieval services.
- To enable teachers to develop further expertise in subject content, teaching strategies, use of technologies, and other essential elements to raise the level of teaching to high standards.
The Library collection consists of Books (including text books, dictionaries, encyclopedia, competitive books, gazetteers, epigraphs, and yearbooks), Periodicals, Project Reports, CD Rom/DVDs, past and present question papers.
DETAILS OF AVAILABILITY OF RESOURCES IN THE LIBRARY
JOURNALS & PERIODICALS
CD / DVD / FLOPPY
GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Library members are the Students, Faculty members, Officers and other Employees of the Institution. Each member is required to apply for library membership in a prescribed form attached with a Stamp size recent photograph.
- All the students are required to bring fee receipt while applying for Library membership and faculty members are required to bring copy of appointment order issue by the Institution.
- Members are to keep their personal belongings at the property counter which is located at the entry room of the library at their own risk. They are advised not to keep valuable items like mobile phone, cash, or such other things in the property counter, Readers can carry only white sheets or note books &sign in the Register at the entrance.
- Identity Card is compulsory for getting access to the library.
- Books removed from the shelves by students, if not required for reference, should be kept on table nearest to them. Please do not try to shelve them yourself. Please remember that a book misplaced is a book lost.
- The newspaper(s) should be folded properly after reading and kept back in the designated place.
- Readers should not deface, mark, cut, mutilate or damage library resources in any way. If anyone is found doing so, he will be charged the full replacement cost of the resource. Books Borrowed should be protected from RAIN, DUST, INSECT, etc.
- Journals, Reference books, Project Reports, Newspapers are not issued out only meant for reference.
- One will be held responsible if any damage is found at the Circulation Desk while returning the book issued to a reader. Readers are advised to carefully examine the books at the Circulation Desk while issuing the book.
- Member who has returned book(s) issued to him/ her after the due date is required to pay the amount as overdue charges asRs 1/- per day.
- If book issued to a member is lost, it should immediately be reported to the library. The librarian will take step for the loss as follows
- Member should replace such lost book with a new one (same title: bound copy) along with a fine or student has to pay two times of the price of the lost book.
- Books issued to members are not transferable.
- Conversation and discussion disturbs library ambience. Therefore, all are requested to maintain dignified silence.
- All users are requested to keep their mobiles in silent modein the Library.
- No visitor or guest is permitted to use the Library without the prior permission of the Librarian. He/She is required to produce a proper introduction letter from the concerned Institution/Organization to which he/she is attached.
- Library reserves the right to call back any issued book/item at any time.
- On completion of their term/ course, Students should clear the dues of the library and get the No Due Certificate from the Library before the commencement of the examination.
- All the Library Members should follow the Library rules.
- For More details contact Librarian /Library staff
EXTENTION ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT
|Particular of program||Year||Purpose|
|Celebration of Librarians Day on 12-8-2012|
|In order to create awareness about Librarians Day|
|Celebration of National Library Week 14th to 20th Nov 2012|| |
|In order to create awareness about National Library Week celebrated all over India|
|Celebration of Teacher’s Day on 5-9-2012|| |
|Organized Book exhibition on “National Science Day” 28-2-2013|| |
|To support National Science Day & inculcate reading habits among students|
|Celebration of National Library Week 14th to 20th Nov 2013||2013||In order to create awareness about National Library Week celebrated all over India|
|Organized Book exhibition on “National Science Day” 28-2-2014||2014||To support National Science Day & inculcate reading habits among students|
|Library Orientation Program for newly added students||2014||to exploit the students information resources available in the library and to supplement their learning process|
|Library orientation program for the first year students.||2015||In order to create awareness and to inculcate reading habits among students|
|Organized a session in Multidisciplinary Workshop on “Emerging trends in Basic Science and Humanities” on the topic “Search strategies for Information Required”||Aug 2015||To create awareness about different search strategies among students.|
|Organized Book exhibition on “National Science Day” 3-3-2016||2016||To support National Science Day & inculcate reading habits among students|
|Library orientation program for the first year students.||2016||In order to create awareness and to inculcate reading habits among students|
|Organized Book exhibition on “National Science Day” 28-2-2017||2017||To support National Science Day & inculcate reading habits among students|
|Library orientation program for the first year students.||2017||In order to create awareness and to inculcate reading habits among students|
|Organized one day National Conference on “Librarianship in Next Generation Libraries” on 7-3-2018||2018|
|Monday To Friday||9.00 AM||5.00 PM|
|Saturday||9.00 AM||2.00 PM|
10.30 AM to 5.00 PM
Library remains closed on Sundays and Public holidays.
- Library Automation
- e-Journal Management
- Open Source Content Management
- Selective Dissemination of Information (SDI)
- Documentation Services
LIBRARY ADVISORY COMMITTEE
To make the library more learner centric and user friendly, the institution has constituted a library advisory committee. Library advisory Committee is a body or an organization consisting of Librarian, Heads of Departments from each discipline and the Principal of the Institution and the Office Manager in a College.
- Overall development of Library services and infrastructure.
- To develop the Automated Library for ease of information retrieval.
- To encourage the research and the practices in teaching, learning and leadership.
- To develop crucial capabilities in preparing the students of University College of Science for mastering wide range of expertise to deliver their jobs better
POWERS AND FUNCTIONS OF THE COMMITTEE
- Library Committee supervises and advises the Librarian in the policy of Book Selection and other administrative matters.
- Make provision for adequate library services.
- Make provision for sufficient funds for procurement of documents, educational CD’s, journals, magazines, newspapers, employment of staff, purchase of equipment, maintenance of building etc.
- Library Committee approves the budget allocation of funds to each subject in the year
|1. Smt. Shalini B. R.||Principal|
|2. Rajalaxmi A. Govanakoppa||Coordinator|
|3. Smt Ratnakumari K. C.||Member|
|4. Dr.Ratnakar Vaidya||Member|
|5. Dr. Ramesh T. N.||Member|
|6. Dr. Rashmi Hosamani||Member|
|7. Dr.Geetha Vasanth||Member|
|8. Sri Bharath Shilpi||Member|
|9. Sri Narahari N.||Member|
|10. Smt. Kusuma Kumari||Member|
|11. Dr. Krishna||Member|
|12. Dr. Manjunath D.||Member|
|13. Dr. Manjunath M.||Member|
|14. Sri Nagaraju H.||Member|
|15. Smt. Shruthi K.||Member|